Sunday, February 27, 2011

Twitter and what I have learned

One of my tasks was to follow twelve people. Here is who I have come across over the past couple of weeks:

Web 2.0 Tools
Rmbyrne: @rmbyrne

This guy is from Maine and provides a lot of free ideas for teachers to utilize technology into their instruction. He manages a blog where he keeps all of his suggestions. I have referenced some of his tips on managing a google site. When I have more time, I also want to learn more about Google labs, as the teacher mentioned it in his blog.
Evernote: @evernote
Evernote is a web 2.0 tool where a person is able to keep their notes all in one location, no matter what device that one has in their hands. Today in fact, I learned how I can send tweets directly into my evernote account. This is really, really cool.
Mary Marotta: @mmarotta
Mary is my instructor for my web 2.0 class. She is another person who is constantly in the know of new technologies that can enhance learning in the educational setting. Just this weekend, she learned about how people can create their own green screen to have their own backdrop.
Patrick Larkin: @bhsprincipal
If I want to read something technological, Patrick will have the article for me to read. He seems to always know what is going on. One of his tweets was about the top 35 web 2.0 tools that are used in the classroom. I was happy to see that I knew most of them. I also read an article about iPads and how some districts are implementing them.
Will Richardson: @willrich45
I have learned quite a bit from him. He is just like Patrick in that he constantly finds some good articles and web 2.0 tools and really makes you think about things. Not too long ago, one of his tweets pointed me in the direction of tag galaxy, a place to find pictures based on the tagging feature. It was very cool.

High School
Bedford High School Newspaper: @bhsunleashed
Bedford High School Counseling: @bhscounselingnh
I like to follow the two above as it is a way for me to quickly learn about what is happening in our school. Even though I work there, it does not mean that I know what is happening. It was great to get the tweets over vacation to learn about how the sport teams did. Also, with the counseling account, I am able to figure out important things that I need to notify my advisory students.
Bedford Education Assoication: @BedfordBEA
Just recently, our association decided to create a twitter account to make sure that all of its members were on the same page. Any information that is coming out through this means is correct information. This has been great, especially with our negotiations that are existing right now. I feel as though I am in the loop a bit more.

Elementary School
Nicole Tomaselli: @nicoletomaselli
Nicole is a former coworker of mine and now mentor. I make a point to follow what she posts as she is always thrusting for the lastest and greatest thing out there. In her most recent posts, she commented on a great way of assignment passwords to students who use glogster accounts in the elementary setting. She also notified teachers of the $1.00 deal going on right now with Scholastic. Seeing Nicole make the shift to elementary has been great for me as I am able to see what is out there in an elementary setting, especially when I do not think elementary.

News
WMUR television: @WMUR9
Barack Obama: @BarackObama
CNN News: @cnn
What I most like about these three is that I do not necessarily need to be home from 6 to 7pm to catch the latest news. I am able to check the news at any time. I found myself really using this feature over my vacation to Florida. I was constantly on the move and away from television, however, when I had a free moment and felt like doing something else, I was looking up what was going on in the world. (So, I guess you can say, yes, my vacation was not a true vacation as I still had technology with me.)
Keene State College Alumni: @kscalumni
Even though there have not been very many tweets since I have decided to follow them, I think that this is a great way to learn about what other KSC alumni are doing. It appears as though KSC spotlights what is going on.

Magazine
Tech & Learning Magazine: @techlearning
I was encouraged my mentor to get the tech & Learn magazine sent to my email so I decided to follow them as well on twitter. It is interesting reading some blog posts. Actually the last two that I read, I did not believe with the author. One was about how interactive white boards are a waste of money and are not used. The other was about how students feel more connected with their teachers who use facebook.

Hashtags
Aside from following people, I have also learned about some more educational hashtags that people use. I think that I will be following #mathchat, and #highered. I also liked seeing that there was a hashtag for new teachers (#ntchat). What a great way for new teachers to get some advice especially when it can be one of the hardest times of a teachers’ career.

Some other people that I am following are:
NHSTE: @nhste
Kathy Schrock: @kathyschrock
Dan Meyer: @ddmeyer
David Warlick: @dwarlick

1 comment:

  1. Craig -
    Thanks for the review of your experience using the tools we covered in class. It's one thing to read about the tools, it's another to actually jump and start using. I am glad to see you were able to experience the online collaboration experience using twitter.

    ReplyDelete