Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Collaboration

So, it has been a couple of days since I have last written.  Tonight's topic is about how dishartened I am to hear that some teachers are still not accepting of the fact that collaboration is very important in the education world.  I am very fortunate to be working in a school that values common planning and makes sure that teachers who teach the same course have the same time block off for common planning.  What is important to know is that this is NOT the same block as my own personal planning time. 

With this model, I have found it very rewarding as an educator.  In all honesty, I feel as though I have become a much better educator.  I have learned quite a bit from my peers.  If it were not for them, I in fact probably would still be teaching by sections in textbooks rather than teaching with big ideas.  There were times where I would just spit out algorithms for my students to use and apply.  Little did I know, I was doing them a diservice.  They were not learning or knowing why they were even learning the concept.  Working with other teachers also lets you see how they teach the material or approach and idea that maybe completely different from what you do.  Also, in order to make sure that students get the same type of experience in a course no matter what the subject, common planning must be a priority. 

All schools need to get on board of this idea of providing teachers an opportunity to work with one another to help one another.  If we expect that collaboration is an important 21 century skill, then we as educators need to be modeling this!  (This goes along with what David Rosa was talking about in a video.  He mentions that we need to be modeling to our students our expectations.  It is ok that we are not the experts in the front of the room.  It is ok to show students at times that we are humans and we will get back to them.)

This conversation appeared tonight as a result of participating in the #edchat conversation on Twitter.  It was sad to see the wide range to statements.  Some teachers have never even had the opportunity to talk to another teacher.  We need to change this!

What are your thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. When a school plans PD time it's important to provide time for teachers to share and connect with their colleagues. Some of our best PD has been with teachers and students presenting to our staff what works in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree Craig. I love the structure of our school planning time and honestly could not imagine teaching without it. It is necessary for teachers to share ideas, comment, and revise consistently together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice commentary Craig on Tuesday's edchat session. I was amazed at how fast you could get your tweets out. Good job!

    ReplyDelete