Sunday, March 13, 2011

Reflection on Assessing the Web 2.0 World

Today I listened to a podcast on Assessment in a Web 2.0 World (If you would like to listen to the podcast yourself, feel free to click on the link Eudcause podcast: Assessment in a Web 2.0 World) Over the course of my eight years of teaching, assessing student learning as been a big focus.  I remember when the word rubrics was new and realized that we should be providing students with the information pertaining to exactly how they were going to be assessed on a graded assignment.  This is the right thing to do and to think that it was not done prior, seems crazy.

It was brought up that not only do educators need to think about how they are going to grade students on a particular tasks, but they also need to complete the task themselves to see what the finish product might look like.  It all comes back to the teacher 'being a role model'.  If the teacher does not know what the final product might look like, then they are unable to truly think of a way to assess the students.  I can relate to this as I have been in a situation where I either gave to few or too many points on  particular component on an assessment and I think to myself, "Well that was dumb of me...Why did I do that?"  Yes, it will take time to complete the task, but it is worth it in the long run.  Plus, there are some students who need to see a model of what something could look like.  It is a win, win.

Additionally, the speakers made a comment that at times some teachers say that they do not need to see a hollywood production (in regards to a video assignment).  Well, it could be hard then to see if the students understood the assignment that was given to them, which means it may become difficult to assess the students learning. 


Also, it was mentioned that the teacher needs to collaborate with the instructional technology teacher as they have ideas of how technology can be infused into the curriculum to better enhance student learning.  One of the roles of the classroom teacher is to be an expert in that particular subject, so they may not know the technology world and what it has to offer.  This is ok.  This just reminds me that it is very important for the IT teacher to be very open minded, willing to collaborate, be available, as well as making sure the staff trusts them.  If this is not happening, then the collaboration efforts will not be made.  This podcast also made me realize that the IT teacher also really knows what the curriculum is like in the whole school since they work with all of the teachers.  This means that the IT teacher can also link classroom teachers with other classroom teachers if they are teaching connecting topics. 
(This role really seems exciting to me and I cannot wait to get my hands wet!)


It was interesting to hear the speakers talk about whether or not students going to college should be required to take a course in digital literacy.  To think that this was never thought about years ago when I was in school, and now it could be.  It is true that students do need to become digitally aware and I really think that this would be a good idea.  It will help when students are required to do work in other courses electronically.  It will also help with group work and collaboration skills.  (I think that one goal of mine would be at some point to teach a topic with one other teacher at the same time somewhere else around the world.  What a great way to collaboration with others so that the students can see the richness in it.)  This just makes you wonder what will be next, as technology changes yet again!

Lately, it appears as though there has been a shift of learning in education.  We are tending to switch from strictly learning by means of rote learning to experiential learning.  I myself have made sure that students are able to participate in said situation.  In fact, as a result of this, I feel as though I have become a better learner myself, as well as educator.  I, however, believe that students need to be able to experience both worlds, especially when it comes to mathematics.  If students do not know their basics, they will not be successful in any experiential task that is put in front of them.  I am asking those big idea questions to my students which makes them truly see why they are learning what they are learning.


I know that I have said this before, but teaching is not an easy job.  But I like not know what the day may turn out to be!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Craig -
    The idea of having students take a course in Digital Literacy sounds like a good idea to me, too. It would be so beneficial to them throughout their academic career, and the skills of collaboration and learning how to learn will benefit them in the work world, too!

    ReplyDelete